Re: to www or not?

by "Rudy Gomez" <rudy(at)cyberangler.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:38:43 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm new to Linux, but its my understanding that this is a server-side issue.
The Linux the DNS service setup contains configuration files for each domain
on the server.  These files are called SOAs, or Statements of Authority.
Below is an SOA file from one domain:

===============
@ IN    SOA    ns.cyberangler.com. hostmaster.cyberangler.com. (
                      2000061301 ; serial
                      3600 ; refresh
                      900 ; retry
                       1209600 ; expire
                      43200 ) ; default_ttl

                IN    NS    ns.cyberangler.com.
                IN    NS    ns2.cyberangler.com.
                IN    MX  5 mail.cyberangler.com.
                IN    A     64.65.17.97
www         IN    A     64.65.17.97
ftp            IN    A     64.65.17.97
<snip>

The "www  IN  A  64.65.17.97" tells the server what IP is used when
www.cyberangler.com is requested.  The "___ IN  A  64.65.17.97" tells the
server what IP is used cyberangler.com is requested.

In the "old days" some admins did not include a "blank IN A" statement
making access without the www impossible.

I hope this is correct, and I hope it answers your question.

PS: Remember to visit the CyberAngler Forum and interact with other
fishermen - http://cyberangler.com/forum/

Warmest regards,

Rudy Gomez
rudy(at)cyberangler.com