Re: Stumped over IE 5.5

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:24:14 -0700
 To:  "'Mike Taylor'" <lonewolf(at)one.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That's funny... I don't think it's an IE5.5 issue, since I went to the link
provided in MSIE 5.5 (Windows Millennium 4.90.3000, IE 5.50.4134.0100) just
now (July 26 9:22 PM PDT) and the page loaded just fine. It's possible that
by some odd coincidence that each time you and others have gone to this
site, it was offline or the internet backbone your ISP(s) use was damaged or
maybe the DNS lookup at your ISP was offline or any number of other reasons.
It's also possible that the current version of MSIE 5.5 available on the
Microsoft website is not the same version as is packaged with Millennium,
although I can't see why.

I've not had ANY problems I didn't have before with MSIE 5.x (actually, with
5.5, I have LESS problems), despite the streak of bad reports about the
browser back in April. I think the error message that was displayed when the
page could not be accessed is telling. Of course, turning off "nice" error
messages also helps to more clearly identify the error in terms we're all
more accustomed to.

For clarity, I tried this link in all of the browsers I test my sites with,
and all of them gave me something, not an error message. I suppose a final
possibility in this mystery is that maybe the people at the site in question
found a minor bug that was preventing MSIE 5.5 from displaying it and then
fixed it, but that seems unlikely based on the error reported.

Go figure...
Kehvan