Re: Second try - Site not viewable for client

by "N. Whittley" <nwhittley(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:55:16 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Jason K. Chapman" <theguild(at)interserv.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That is interesting.. she is using MSN's browser, and she said she got all
her updates.  Her Netscape 4.7 viewed it fine, so I am leaning toward a
software issue.

This is the first site I have ever used png images for.  I am fascinated by
them.  Not sure
if I will continue, and I could easily turn them into jpgs, only I hate that
dappled look they get from the compression.

Thanks for the info.

Nancy

> At 02:46 PM 3/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >They said at first it kept acting like it was trying to download
something
> >and now they say they see the catagories and stuff.  Not sure what they
> >mean.
>
> My guess is that you're running into imperfect support for .PNGs.  Nav
> 3.02, of course, broke on all the images.  Nav 4.08 rendered them
> semi-readably (the black text looked pretty awful), but on closer
> inspection wanted to hand them off to a plug-in like QuickTime.
>
> It's conceivable that some earlier installations of IE (5.01, maybe?)
might