Re: Homesite (was RE: DreamWeaver 3.0 vs. DreamWeaver 4.0)

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:03:50 -0500
 To:  "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, I considered multi-boot, but it get ridiculous.  The plan was to
work mostly in Linux, with Windows apps available via VMWare and reboot to
98 just when I felt like taking a recreational break...which, as you
correctly noted, is not often.

VMWare is giving me headaches booting to the native FAT32 Windows is
installed on, delaying the Plan and thus the experimentation with Winnows
editors and site managers.  No biggie...EditPlus has less quick toolbar
buttons but is very stable and configurable, so I don't loose out at
all...:)

From: "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

You're right, Win2000 doesn't do games all that well, but as I mentioned in
an off-list reply to someone else, games are not something I do all that
often (and when I do, it's usually MYST or RIVEN, and I have WinME for
MYST -- RIVEN plays fine in 2000). I use Win2K mainly because it's far more
stable than Consumer Windows (95/98/ME), and for me, the cost of Win2K was
paid for by not having to reboot multiple times a day due to resource
losses, or lose everything I was working on (because I was saving a backup
when the system crashed, wiping out everything I was working on in the
process). I use my system mostly for graphics and webdesign work, and for
me, Win2K has saved me time, effort, and headaches over Win98/ME. But's that
my experience. Not everyone will be the same.

Might I suggest a TRIPLE-boot option? LINUX/Win98/Win2000? It IS possible,
and then you'll have the best of ALL worlds -- stability (Win2K, LINUX),
games (Win98), flexibility (LINUX, Win2K (to a point))!

Kehvan