Re: photos, JS, SScripting...

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 31 May 2002 08:37:01 +0100
 To:  <thewolves(at)bigfoot.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "Larry Coats" <thewolves(at)attbi.com>
> > Firstly - i'm trying top make my pages as "accessible as possible".
> Couldn't hurt to also view your site with different resolutions.
Good point, will do -

> Is WebTV a concern? If so, then there are lots of other considerations.
no - as i don;t know what it is!  (nor do i want to....)

> I'm not aware of any browsers that support it, but I also could be
> wrong. I don't have Lynx myself. I thought you said you had gotten Lynx
> -- can't you just try it and see? ;-)
Apart from i haven;t downloaded it yet (the installation instructions
frightened me off, it didn;t look very easy) -
 because i don;t know what *ought* to happen, i wouldn;t know if i had found
an answer, or if i  was doing something wrong.
There is so much that i can set in a brower, so many variables and different
preferecnes  that i don;t know about, so many unknowns - that i decided to
"ask the experts" :-)
To get the right asnwer to work towards.....

>> Try this:

>       target="PhotoDisplay"
>       onclick="openWindow(...);return false">

The problem with this - as  i remembered  earlier today - is i like to
validate my pages to XHTML strict -
and the "target" attribute fails this. (This is why i starting using JS for
this in the first place)
Either i use "target" and lose XHTML strict validition, or i use only JS,
and lose  non-JS-enabled users from seeing the pic.
Rock and a hard place :-(

> I've gotta wonder whether it's worth putting so much effort into making
> descriptions of images so accessible.
> For your Lynx and blind users -- are they really going to want to
> read/hear descriptions of images that they can't see?
Probably not - but as i am learning rather than developing a specific
product - i'm not really fluent in html/css or JS yet (hence my reluctance
to get into ASP / server-side scripting yet, i need more experience on the
client side first) - i want to learn all the accessibility techniques whilst
i'm in learn-mode.
So as a learning exercise, yes it is worth it - simply so i can get into
good accessibility-habits before i start to code-without-thinking, and add
to my "knowledge base of coding techniques".
Then later on, in a real project, i can choose whether or not the techniques
are appropriate at a specific instance.
My portfolio site, at least,  has to have everything in it :-)

> If I couldn't see the image, I wouldn't
> really care that you have a picture of someone mowing the lawn. ;-)
But it was our new councillor on the day after  he got elected to councillor
status - the message was important, that he is still helping out with these
menial voluntary tasks :-)

thanks for your ideas -

hilma
-x-----