Re: Google/Yahoo/Dmoz

by "Steve Mount" <steve(at)saltyrain.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 May 2002 00:06:39 -0400
 To:  "Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>,
"HWG list" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Possibly - but I doubt it.

As has been discussed here before, how search engines do their thing is
usually well known in a general sense, but a huge mystery in a specific
sense.  For example, does it help to have your page linked to by others?
Sure, generally ... but if your links are all on link farms (I don't know
*exactly* what this is, so I'm making a reasonable guess), then it may not
make a dime's worth of difference.

Why would a site be number one in the list with some keywords one day, and
not even listed the next?  Or after a domain name change? Who knows - maybe
there is something in the domain name.  Maybe there is a hashing algorithm
they were playing with one day, and abandoned the next.

Your best bet, the bet I always take, is make your site the best it can be.
Make it interesting, the content rich and full.  My U.S. Constitution site
has been around for a long time, and often shows up high in rankings.  I
follow my web log links to see how people are getting to my site, and am
often surprised by the words they searched on and got a hit on my site - but
more often than not, it is not the haphazardly put-together meta tags with
descriptions and keywords that got the hit - it was the actual content of
the page.  And isn't that how it should work?

This is why, on the few non-personal sites I've designed, I always promise
to submit the sites to engines, but never, ever, promise any placement
level, or placement at all.

Steve Mount, Software Engineer            steve(at)saltyrain.com
Home Site                            http://www.saltyrain.com
US Constitution Online          http://www.usconstitution.net