Re: Moving from HTML 3.2 to HTML 4...

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2000 02:07:02 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Chuck Evans" <Chucke(at)captura.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Chuck  -

> When I took over the management of my company's web site, I did the same
> kind of redesigning to HTML 4/CSS. In particular, I replaced the main
> Navigation bar, which used to incorporate over 20 separate graphics,
> including those needed for mouseOvers. I also optimized graphics that
> remained and generally cleaned up the code (there were tables within
tables
> within tables everywhere, courtesy of someone's WYSIWYG HTML editor, I
> assume).

This is the plan ATM; the navigational graphics pre-load, due to the
JavaScript in use, thus cutting load time, and adding to the overall page
file size.

> I cut the total overhead of the main page
> (http://www.captura.com/en/index.html) from way over 100K to around 40K.
> Granted, I have to live with the fact that non-CSS browsers will NOT see
my
> site as intended. However, they WILL see the site, and they WILL get the
> information we present. (Our most current web stats put CSS-capable
browsers
> at 92% of site traffic.)

My thoughts as well.

Thanks for the info!
Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html