Re: bandwith protect .htaccess

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:33:27 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
.htaccess will allow you to redirect errors (404,403,etc) and also
to redirect access attempts for certain directories.

I don't believe you can protect images or downloads that way, as
the user must be able to download the image or downloadable file
to use it.  You can, of course, password protect directories.

Example .htaccess file:

#######################
# starting with password protection info...
AuthUserFile /path/to/your/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Protected Area Name"
AuthType Basic

# now, the authorized user(s)
<Limit GET POST>
require user USERNAME
</Limit>

# This prevents people from looking at your htaccess file.
<Files ~ "\.htaccess$">
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Files>