RE: Audio Broadcast

by "Mike Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:01:32 +1000
 To:  "'Matt'" <ncmail(at)triad.rr.com>,
"Hwg-Techniques@Hwg. Org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

What country is the broadcast from?  It makes a HUGE difference.   What
country is the server going to be in, and what country is the =
organisation
owning the site going to be in?=20

For example in the USA, there is a HORRENDOUS cost associated with =
streaming
audio, which has taken most of the US based on-line broadcasters off the =
air
for the mean time.  Even some who were getting quite large traffic.

In Australia, the bandwidth cost is gigantic, even though the royalty
payments aren't.

Unlike regular radio, you pay for each listener.  With a FM or AM radio
station, you pay for the equipment and the licence, and the more =
listeners
the better.  Online, you buy server software for x number of concurrent
listners.  More listeners means more bandwidth and more megabytes
transferred and more licensing for server software.  SO you have to make
sure you do your arithmetic pretty thoroughly before you get started.

I'm not saying 'don't do it',  I'm saying go into it carefully, and make
sure you have **IN WRITING** what your APRA or BMI or ASCAP license
obligations will be, and know what the licensing costs of server =
software
will be as your listenership grows.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Webmaster, Bluegrass Australia
http://www.bluegrass.org.au
Presenter: Music From Foggy Hollow on Hawkesbury Radio 89.9FM, and =20
http://www.bluegrasscountry.org  7 days  a week.
We are a Bluegrass Unlimited reporting program