Re: Forum Software

by "Sami Aura" <sja(at)saunis.net>

 Date:  Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:15:57 +0200
 To:  "HWG-Techniques" <HWG-Techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Melanie Gann" <melanie.gann(at)erols.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Can anyone recommend a specific package, or shareware, where I might get
> started. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm using "Forum" which is made with php3 and mysql, it's the best I've
used. Hope php3 and mysql won't be a problem for you!

This program is hard to find, it has no homepage(?) and freshmeat.net's url
won't work, but from there I got the filename which is "forum_2_0_4.tgz" -
try searching with ftpsearch.lycos.com :)

Features (from README-file)
    - search
    - threads with '+' and '-' (cookie based saving state)
    - 'new' messages marks (cookie based)
    - cookie based savings of name and email of posters
    - highly configurable (header, footer, colors, etc. )
    - optional sending email to administrator after new posting
    - administration: edit/delete messages
    - language tuning with online language switcher
         english
         german
         russian
         spanish
         french
    - simple statistics for message views
    - email-reply to the author of the original message (optional)
    - ability to view all messages in the thread on one page

Regards,

Sami Aura

[ http://iki.fi/sja ]
...When all else fails, read the instructions.