Re: PHP and MySql - where to start

by "Stuart McDonald" <stuart(at)fourelephants.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:29:17 +0700
 To:  "Bob Unger" <rbu(at)akula.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have a collection of references that I use for this:

PHP :
Professional PHP Programming by Wrow Press - invaluable, a good book for
both the beginner and the professional - clear well explained examples and a
great index
PHP3 Programming Browser Based Applications McGrawHill- OK very Linux
focussed and not very well organised - the index is appalling, but
nevertheless I found parts of it useful
Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 New Riders Press - a little brief
for my tastes and contains a lot of waffle.

MySQL:
MySQL New Riders Press - Invaluable - if there is one book you need this is
it, though don't expect much in the way of advice on how to design a good
DB. Well written, clearly organised and an excellent index
MySQL and MSQL O'Reilly: - Virtually a complete waste of money. I will not
buy an O'Reilly book again - very disappointing there is virtually nothing
in this book that you cannot get for free on the web...

On the Net
Both the MySQL and PHP sites have volumes of material on line, the annotated
manual at PHP in particular is very impressive.

Hope this helps

Stuart