Re: Semi-OT: mac font check, please

by "Mike" <ironmike(at)inav.net>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:23:22 -0500
 To:  "Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Note:  "Times" and "Times New Roman" are  NOT the same font.

If you are interestd in a mildly confusing article on their history and
differences, browse to:
http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/articles/times.htm

In short, there are basic differences between the two fonts depending on
foundry origin, whether Truetype or Post Script, on the vintage, etc.
Differences between sets of the same name may exist depending on vintage, PS
or TT, origin and rendering system (computer/monitor combination). On my
system (Dell) New is always narrower than Times, probably 8 - 10%

Times is standard for Apple (Adobe source) and Times New is standard for MS
(Monotype source).

Mike