Re: expired domain names

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:35:20 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Lead" <lead(at)sunshineband.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jennifer,

I recently was asked this same question by one of my clients. It took me a
bit, but I found the answer in the Network Solutions FAQ File:

Q: The domain name I want has expired according to the WHOIS record. Why
can't I register that name?

A: The WHOIS record "expiration date" simply indicates the current contract
period for a domain name registration. Contract periods vary from one to ten
years. If you fail to pay your registration fee, your domain name
registration is subject to deactivation and eventual deletion from our
systems under normal billing procedures and technology requirements. Many
factors may cause the "expiration date" to vary from the eventual date of
deletion.

Q: When and how will a domain name whose "expiration date" in WHOIS has
passed be available for me to register?

A: Once a domain name has been deleted from our systems under normal billing
procedures and technology requirements, it no longer exists and therefore
would be available for you to register through our website. To search for
availability, please visit www.networksolutions.com and enter the name in
the search box.

Hope this helps!
Kehvan M. Zydhek