Re: Resolution vs monitor size

by "szcam" <szcam(at)pub.sz.jsinfo.net>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Feb 2001 06:46:20 -0000
 To:  "BigGrizzly" <grizzlygraphics(at)mindspring.com>,
"hwg-techniques List" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Big Grizzly,

The age old question,
Following the same question asked by myself and a lot of replies on this
group I switched from designing on a high res screen to 800 x 600 purely
because it looks better to more surfers. Horizontal scrolling is I believe
not liked by most people.

I found the answer for me was to switch to using fluid tables by using
percentage values the table will fill the screen without any horizontal
scrolling without worrying about what the screen resolution is Or the second
option is to use a table with a maximum width and centre the table so the
content always appears the same in any resolution. The only thing I did find
was that you have to allow for the extra vertical screen resolution on
higher resolution screens.

I chose 800 x 600 because it seemed to be the most popular and I know some
of my sites will require some horizontal scrolling on lower resolution
screens where I have used the fixed table method.

As for monitor size the size does matter ;-) especially if you are using
small typeface's a 19" will display things slightly bigger than a 17"
because there are still the same amount of pixels they are just friendlier
in a 17" because they have to squeeze together a bit more.

Hope this diatribe helps you somehow

Mark Bolton
Boltonmedia Consulting
Suzhou,Peoples Republic of China