Re: Linux

by "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:55:58 -0000
 To:  "Lisa Bradshaw" <zibbler(at)mediaone.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I am a Linux beginner. I tried many distros, and only Mandrake recognised
all my hardware. SuSe didn't like the particular CDROM I had, and started to
install ok, then gave up when it installed enough Linux to use the standard
Linux cdrom drivers.

Some Windows software may work more or less correctly under the emulator,
other may not, but I don't know which.

As best I know, what Linux is good for is crashing much less often, and
giving useable performance on slightly slower machines. BUT, if you owant to
do things like networking, it isn't as simple as with windows to set up a
basic peer-to-peer network.

You may need to write script files - or download examples from Linux sites -
to do things that Windows does for you.

A big difference is that windows handles cut and paste between otherwise
incompatiblel applications - Linux does not. Applications must be written to
permit the cut and paste.

There are many low or no cost applications available - so the choice to use
Linux may depend on whether there are applications to do all the things you
want. I mostly use windows because not all the software I need to use is
available for Linux.

Andrew