Re: Last Updated

by "John Murray" <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>

 Date:  Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:58:00 +1000
 To:  "The Lion's Cub" <lionscub(at)elknet.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
document.lastModified is what you are looking for. It gets passed across
with the document info as part of the transfer protocol.

The browser get's at it and shows it in it's File / Properties command
[MSIE]. You'll probably want to use javascript to get at it.

The question is, how do you plant it into your document without having to
document.write our whole document around it.

Can you do server side includes? If you can it's nice and neatto do it that
way. Beacuse if you do it on the users side of the phone line you have to
pay around with building a new document with document.write and so on. This
can be a pain.

You could also use css positioning and a couple of ID'ed DIV tags to give
you a place to javascript into one of the DIV's the lastModified info, and
then you could put the rest of your <body> </body> into the second div.

Go ssi. No use using a spanner to knock a nail in with.

That's how I currently understand the situation anyway.

John

Now I note that