Re: Escaping ()

by "Steve Mount" <steve(at)saltyrain.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:40:04 -0400
 To:  <jkeilholz(at)triad.rr.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
According to the JS spec, valid variable names (and the name of a form
element is just a variable name to JS) can contain only A-Z, a-z, 0-9, _ and
$ (no numbers as the first character in a name).  The ( and the ) characters
are not legal, and will probably never work the way you want them to.

You could refer to the form element with its document.forms[].elements[]
value, but I would do that only if absolutely necessary - this format (while
universal) is very easy to break.

Steve Mount, Software Engineer            steve(at)saltyrain.com
Home Site                            http://www.saltyrain.com
US Constitution Online          http://www.usconstitution.net