Re: GIF Optimizers?

by "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:54:34 -0000
 To:  "Maria's Place" <maria(at)coachmaria.com>,
"Hwg-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
For jpegs, there are two things I do to optimise:

First, if certain areas of the picture do not have relevant detail - for
example a bit of random pixel noise in the sky - I quickly select those
areas and run a slight gaussian blur over them before compression. Because
of the compression algorithm that jpeg uses, blurred areas compress better
without severe compression artefacts.

Secondly I use XAT Jpeg Optimiser (free from the cover disc of a magazine!)
to compress less important picture areas more than more important ones.

For GIFs I know nothing special. Fireworks 3 seems to reduce the colour
depth as well as anything - and making sire that there is not the odd pixel
inexplicably a different shade from surrounding ones helps to permit colour
depth reduction as well as subsequent efficiency of saving.

Andrew Armstrong