Re: Multiple Installs/Versions of IE in Windows

by "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Tue, 7 May 2002 06:46:29 -0500
 To:  "Nathan Lyle" <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>,
"HWG Techniques Email List" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have gotten this to work, it was a while ago and with versions 4 and 5 but
may still work.  I'll try to recall what I did:

IE4 came with the OS (NT) so it was already installed.  I believe the trick
was to rename the executable (IEXPLORE.exe) to something else.  I then ran
the IE5 installer, selecting to do a "custom" install.  I choose a different
location than the default so that it would not overwrite IE4.  Seems there
was another step here, maybe not.  The last step is obviously renaming
IEXPLORE.exe for the older version back to what it should be.

GK

> This is probably a dumb question - but how can I have both IE5 and IE6
> on the same Windows machine? It's been no problem on my Mac, but the
> IE5 installer won't proceed because it sees it's newer relative and
> refuses to go any further.
>
> Help?
>
> ~ Nathan Lyle
>
>   E-Mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
>   Web Site: www.nathanlyle.com
>
> "The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession
of it seems to me the deepest root of all evil that is in the world." - Max
Born (1882-1970) - German physicist