RE: DHTML & CSS update

by "Mike Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:38:26 +1000
 To:  "'Billy Dean'" <billy61(at)earthlink.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The reason this has come about is that I've been in an environment where =
we
can't use any of the latest good stuff because we're trying to =
accommodate
all those folks who want to come to the site regardless of what browser =
they
might have.   We only decided to put our first piece of javascript on =
the
site a year ago!

Now the political situation has changed a little (internally I mean) and =
we
can get away with being a little braver, without having a senior manager
coming crying that the sky is falling saying "See! I told you you would =
be
alienating all our users" if one person complained.

But before I went ahead and designed a site that would include features =
that
some browsers couldn't see, I thought I'd see what experiences you =
people
had. =20

I think it's fair to say that people on this list (or at least as far as =
you
can say those who responded accurately reflect the opinions of this =
list)
overwhelmingly think it's time to include DHTML and other newer =
technologies
if the situation calls for it.  Goodiegoodiegoodie!  I hadn't realised =
that
you can have a css class that doesn't display, and therefore the =
contents
will only show for those who don't use css compatible browsers (because =
must have been half asleep when I read that part of the guide!)=20

By using CSS and DHTML we can have an entirely dynamic site, where =
merely
adding a category and content to the database, the whole site will
reconfigure, menus, search, sitemap, 'what's new' page and all
automatically.  We can have a web-based Content Management System (CMS) =
and
it's going to be great!

What we didn't want is to be up to our armpits in work on the CMS, and =
get
it knocked off the rails by having one or two users complaining because =
they
can't access everything with their IE3 browser.

Thanks for the advice people, and I'll tell you where the site is when =
it's
done.

Cheers,
Michael Kear