Re: spreadsheet program to store e-mails

by "Karin Ransdell" <karin(at)ransdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:35:50 -0500
 To:  "Noteworthy Web Designs" <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi, Karen.
I'm a little confused.  Do you perhaps mean a database program, because
that's what you're describing and they are two different things.  At any
rate, be prepared to break out the smelling salts when the price of Oracle
is mentioned ;)

Our sites use MySQL extensively.  With a SQL statement here and there, we
can make it do all kinds of things for the client.  Best of all, MySQL is
now released under the GNU General Public License (GPL), read: FREE on all
platforms.  A vast number of web hosts also support MySQL and include it in
some hosting packages.  We do not recommend a host to a client unless the
host supports MySQL because there's just too much of an advantage to having
it.

With regard to pulling the data back out of the database and reusing it,
take a look at
http://www.squishedmosquito.com/cgi-bin/esp?PAGE=login.esp

This set of scripts does just what you're talking about.  It stores email
addresses and then allows you to send mail directly from the browser.  Works
with MySQL, runs on Apache or NT, the engine is a standalone binary that is
not server-dependent and both the script bundle and the engine are free and
available for download.

Best of all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out <snicker>
and it's great for a non-programmer type web developer.  Not to mention that
your total cost is... what?  Zero? :-)

Best of luck!

Karin