Re: screen resolution

by "fiore" <fiore(at)futura.net>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:24:14 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> > Very few people set there screen resolution above 800x600.  There are
> > various reasons, such as system resources and monitor displays.

> Mm, not necessarily. Home users won't, but don't underestimate how many IT
> professionals -- or even just "knowledgable" users -- there are and I
> don't know *one* person who knows what they're doing who is in anything
> less than 1024*768.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a "knowledgeable" user married to a
computer technician, and I have my comp at 800x600, simply because it's a
15" monitor.

Everybody doesn't have a new computer from Dell or wherever.  Bigger
monitors may be the norm for *new* computers, but not everybody has a new
one.  Mine is custom, and I bought the monitor separately, because it's what
I could afford at the time.  I am more of a proponent of designing for the
masses, because nothing will make me leave a site faster than one with side
scrolling.

For the rest of you out there, please consider that not everybody has a
"friend" who will change their screen resolution (my parents had their 17"
monitor set for 640x480, believe it or not).  If you *must* have a site
developed for the higher resolutions, at least provide a link and a separate
site for those with the lower resolutions.

Regards,

Jennifer

Jennifer Calas
F&D Productions