Re: flash in valid html

by "Nick Doylend" <ndoylend(at)hashishin.net>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:49:42 -0000
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Christie Cooksey" <christie(at)thearmidalemall.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
We are validating to be confident that we're producing decent html which
isn't riddled with errors.  Okay so a page won't validate but it displays
fine in the most popular browsers of the time.  The problem is what happens
in, say a year or two when a new browser is released which is perhaps a bit
more picky with regard to correct html, I've seen it happen before with
different versions of Netscape where an earlier version rendered sloppy code
perfectly but the next version refused to render pages that used to work
fine.  If the pages had been validated from the start the problem would
never have occurred.  I think validation is also the only way to cater for
people using obscure browsers or platforms, you can't test everything but if
it's valid code it's more likely to be browser independent.

Having said that with respect to the "embed" tag perhaps I'm validating for
the sake of it.  If the underlying page is valid and Netscape won't display
the Flash without it then the tag will stay!  (Hmm I suppose if I was a real
purist I'd be opposed to using Flash and my pages would look the poorer for
it!  Unlike some sites I've seen I don't think valid html and good design
are mutually exclusive.)