Re: site design II - databasing it

by Jeff Demel <jeff(at)cosmiczombie.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:41:58 -0500
 To:  Mike Kear <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org,
owner-hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org,
allred(at)its.state.ms.us
  todo: View Thread, Original
Looks like I get to prattle on some more about freedom.

First, NT/ASP is not free in either sense of the term.  I don't know where
that came from.

PHP is not just cost-free, it's also open-source and released under the GNU
public license.  Cold Fusion, while a completely adequate development
environment, is neither free nor open.

"But, Jeff," you say, "who cares?"

Harrumph.  I guess I do, along with thousands of other developers.  It's the
Debian "when code matters more than commercials" idea.  If the company drops
the product or goes out of business, what are you going to do?  Patches and
upgrades won't be available, etc...  Anyway, while I think open-source is a
sound business move, there are other more pertinent reasons to choose PHP.

I'm not saying that CF wouldn't get the job done.  It certainly will.
However, PHP is just as fast to learn and easy to develop in, the syntax
skills you learn are transferable, and you don't have to depend on a huge,
sluggish company for product support.

I never said CF was a "bad deal" or that folks who use it are "duped."  It's
just been my experience that using PHP with mySQL is less pricey and costs
less over the long haul, using Mike's terms.  Price/cost seemed to be a
concern of the original post, right?  So there you are.  My opinion is based
on my experience.  Mike's opinion and experience are different.
Whoop-de-do!  :)

So it goes.

He's also in Winter and I'm in Summer.

G'day!