Re: Email problems!

by "CareBear" <caringbear(at)home.com>

 Date:  Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:33:22 -0700
 To:  <eagle(at)upstateguide.com>
 Cc:  "hwg-techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
For one thing you can make sure he has the latest version of form mail it
has a lot of safe gards. As the email addresses probably look legit the form
mail wont detect them but you could add code to block the IP address, only
trouble is if he is using a proxy you would block everybody using that
server. I am not sure how he can send so many emails through the form unless
he can get into the cgi script.

Bruce

> I have a client who has a form (using Matt's formmail)
> http://eaglemarket.com/health/free.htm
>
> Someone is spamming this form...using bogus aol email
> address.
> Needless to say.......over 9,000 - "Returned mail: Service
> unavailable"
> messages have flooded their email system in the past 4 days!!
>
> I have sent email to the *abuse* department of the Web Host
> and
> they told me there is no unusual activity being shown in the
> logs!
>
> Is there anyway to stop this kind of abuse??
>
> Thanks,
> Ellie

---