Re: critique please

by "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:51:23 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I am a web designer trying to stay afloat since Sept 11, 01 and not
getting enough business to survive and was wondering if some of you folks
could critique my site and let me know if you see anything wrong with what I
offer on my site.

Wow, Lorrie --

I thought you wanted to know why your business wasn't as good as it could
be... You've kind of "looked a gift horse in the mouth," haven't you? Part
of growing is being able to look objectively at our faults. I for one, am
stuck in a certain style with my sites, and I want to break free of it. I
can't do this if I defend my current design practices too fiercely. I must
look at how others perceive my layout and message, and make
adjustments --totally breaking free of old patterns if need be.

I live in the country. In fact, I live beyond the grid in the middle of a
National Forest with the bears and mountain lions. Yep --no commercial
nothin'. My window to the world is through super-high-speed Internet access
via satellite. How in the heck do I pull that off? --with solar and other
on-site generated power. Some of us "country folks" can be pretty
technologically savvy, so please don't put us in a box --save those to snazz
up your Web site!

People are mostly visual beings. Your hand coding may be flawless (I hand
code exclusively too), but people don't understand it, they don't see it,
and they DON'T CARE about it! ~So~ Finely coded usable and *accessible*
interesting design is one thing, but finely coded bland design is another. I
know --I've been there. Bland does not sell. Impact does. You may have
finely coded, usable, accessible design with ~IMPACT~. For some it comes
easy, and for others (like me), it takes a little more creative energy. It
sounds like you are playing to the search engines instead of people. Who is
your ideal client? The one stumbling along with an old computer and no cash,
the one with current technology and the money and desire to keep step with
the modern world, or the search engines? Who is most likely to want a Web
site? Who will most likely be able to afford it? To me, the answer is clear.

The replies you have received to your inquiry are priceless gems. I am
considering them as suggestions for the improvements of my own sites and
style, so I thank you for asking the questions, however, I am sorry you seem
to be fighting the answers, or should I say that I'll be happy to take the
clients you may have had... ?

Lauren