Firewalls (was RE: Hackers)

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:20:52 -0500
 To:  <webmaster(at)aurorawebdesign.com>,
"HWG techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Take a look at

http://www.networkice.com/

BlackICE Defender

We installed this (easily!) after we went to DSL at home and it worked
great.  There is a caveat about BlackICE returning "false positives" on DSL
lines for what is ordinary network traffic.  With this in mind, it didn't
bother me that the occasional "warnings" would coming from IPs from my own
provider.  Once you realize that "network traffic" or not, BlackICE is
catching it and telling you about it (and most importantly, not letting
folks in)  you learn to tell the traffic from the probes.

We were very happy with it and would probably still be using it except now
all the Windows boxes are networked and hiding behind a locked-down Linux
box ;)   ::: viva la linux :::

Karin