Re: Relational Databases

by "Rossi Designs" <webmaster(at)rossidesigns.net>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:03:20 -0400
 To:  "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>,
"Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>,
"Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I just have to get into this flame war.

1st let me say that PHP runs on NT (as well as anything can be said to) and
has built in functions to connect to MSSQL server.

| If you know some scripting language consider using ASP. It is powerful,
well
| documented, scalable and robust. It operates best on an NT server. The
| documentation is outstanding and there are several step by step
handholding
| guides.

I haven't written any ASP code in over a year because :
    1. M$ makes ASP.
    2. PHP is free
    3. PHP is based on C/C++ and Perl while ASP is based on Visual Basic,
and . . .
    4. In ASP you have to call COM objects written in some other language to
do things that
        you could write in PHP because ASP code just can't handle it. ...
PHP4 supports COM objects.
    5. PHP code is more readable.
    6. PHP has built in functions for just about everything, and should you
need something else you can
        write a function in C/C++ and compile it into the binary (I'm not at
that level, but just try to add something to
        ASP)
    7. PHP runs on NT or UNIX so you can take code from one project to
another on different platforms
        and make virtually no changes.
    8. Documentation on M$? ... are you joking? . The documentation on
www.php.net and tutorials on weberdev
        and phpbuilder are far superior to anything M$ offers
    9. PHP will run on unix and apache (60% of all servers, or something
like that) as a built in module ...FAST
    10. The PHP engine actually gets debugged
    11. The core development team answers questions on the PHP mailing list.
    12. M$ makes ASP (oops said that already)

| from what I understand you have to implement a web-driven data base, and
you
| have to learn how to do it in a short period of time. If this is so do not
| learn Linnux!!!

yeah spend a lot of money on a server OS that doesn't work as well ;-)

As a desktop OS windows is good, but Unix/Linux does webservers better.

Rossi Designs
PO Box 1084
Holly Hill, FL 32125-1084
Phone : (904) 226-8979