Re: Moving from HTML 3.2 to HTML 4...

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:38:50 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<hgquinn(at)attglobal.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Heather -

> One thing you could do to improve load time w/o dumping your buttons
entirely,
> is to use an array of table cells with a background color similar to your
> buttons, and just download the "LED" (yellow/red) portion of the current
btton
> images, and place button text to their right within each table cell,
keeping
> your mouseover scripts in place.
>
> This would emulate the current look of your nav bar, which might be
appreciated
> by your return visit users.  You can then "style" the rest of your
documents.

This is a thought that also occurred to me; nice to know that we all think
alike!

The drawback with such a method is that, if done without some care to the
overall theme of the site, it could look somewhat 'tacky'. Still, that's
what beta-testing is all about!

Thanks for the reply!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html