Re: Scalability

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:45:29 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>
From: "Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>

> Hi all;
> When I made my proposal to the national corp. I mentioned previously, they
> asked me if the site would be scalable. Now, I consider scalability to
mean
> where *all* components scale, like can be seen on this masterpiece:
> http://php.net/

As they are a large company, I think they may have been using "scalability"
in another context. Scalability is a buzzword in the database integration
circles, where sites can start off with a small database but if necessary as
the site grows the database/server can grow along with it, without the need
for a total redesign.

I have also seen it used in XML terms, where one site can be used in a
number of ways - WAP phones, handheld computers, etc., though I believe the
first use is more common.

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net