Re: Formatting question

by "Dusty" <designsbydusty(at)tiadon.com>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:35:57 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I do greatly appreciate the replies that I have received so far; once again
I'm impressed by the knowledge of the people on this list and their
willingness to help others. Here are some responses to the solutions that
have come in so far, offered in the hope that they might spark additional
suggestions.

Two people suggested that I use Dreamweaver to clean up the code from the
newsletters. Problem is, I don't have Dreamweaver, nor do I have the money
to invest in it at this time. I do have Front Page 2000, which has an HTML
converter. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get it to work, despite
much tinkering around. So, that option is out. I've also tried using my own
Word program to save files in HTML format, but that doesn't seem to work on
my particular computer, despite attempting to download patches and fixes at
Microsoft's site.

Hank  and Brian both suggested creating a database to drive a template for
the newsletter. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. If someone could
give some instruction to a person who is a moderate-level HTML user, and a
CSS newbie, that would be wonderful. I should note that the particular host
that the church uses does not support PHP or databases. (I know, the answer
to this is find a new host. I'm looking into getting into business as a
reseller, and if that happens I can donate some space to the church, but for
now they're stuck with what they have.)

As for converting the file to a PDF format -- As I recall, this requires
using a program that I do not have and cannot afford at the present time.
(If I'm mistaken, I'll gladly stand corrected.) However, I do have a pet
peeve about sites that require me to download a program before I can read
their content. My usual practice is to leave the site and go elsewhere for
the information I want.

Cheryl referred to a template and macros that she uses for this kind of a
situation. I would love to take a look at them and see if they would be
usable in my situation.

Again, thanks for all the input. I've enjoyed reading all of the replies,
and have learned much already.

Dusty