Comet Cursor and the concept of Spyware (was: Cool Technique)

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:10:08 -0500
 To:  <MVHOG(at)aol.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm probably going to end up way, way off the original topic here, but since
I just love to fan the flames of paranoia, here are some pretty cool links
on the topic of "spyware".

I don't doubt for a minute that Comet Cursor, right along with a great many
other freeware gizmos, gadgets, or gimmicks out there, runs some nasty
little tentacle through our already over-investigated lives.  This even
though Comet Cursor or its company name show up on The Spyware Infested
Software List, found at
http://www.infoforce.qc.ca/spyware/.

The by now infamous Opt-Out site, at http://grc.com/optout.htm, however,
lists Comet Cursor right there in bold print.  There is no doubt in my mind
that these free products pay for themselves in other ways, and that is
simply to sell either ads or your browsing history to the highest bidder.
Icky?  You bet.  Scandalous?  Dangerous?  Depends, I suppose.

While I absolutely, positively DESPISE an application that either won't tell
me these things up front, or will bury its files on my machines in such a
way that there is no option to remove them, I use several freeware apps that
say "we are supported by advertisers".  Generally, I don't have a problem
with that, but it's not unusual for me to install in an un-sensitive
environment first, then uninstall, then run an Opt-Out type program to
double check the uninstall.  If that comes out clean, then I'll use the app
and happily recommend it to others.  I know that this is really not a
guarantee that something won't be passed to the application later on, and
it's a very good idea to check up on your applications occasionally.

(If anyone is interested in a true spyware horror story, contact me
privately about the very interesting i-opener internet appliance product and
what's *really* going on inside that cute little box!)

All that said, I suppose it's all a matter of (very, usually) personal
preference.  I'd like to think that many people are prudent and
sophisticated enough to accept the consequences of our choices, and
intelligent enough to know that *somebody* out there pays for our "free"
gizmos and gimmicks.  The people I worry about are the new folks who want
one of everything, load up their systems with it, then can't understand why
things either don't work right, or why their mailbox is suddenly full of
bizarre stuff they neither asked for nor wanted.

Kind of looping this thing around and back on the original topic... I think
that clients can have the tendency to fall into that "I want everything!"
trap and it is our responsibility to educate them to the potential
consequences.  Plug-ins, add-ons, applets, blahblahblah... they all fall
into the same category as "when is it appropriate to use Perl, or will
javascript do just as well... but then again, what about browsers that don't
support js, etc etc and on it goes".   For some projects, the gizmo-du-jur
might be perfect, but the client's decision to use it might be different if
they clearly understood the facts.  If the client still thinks it's perfect,
then forge ahead and have a little peace of mind that it (hopefully!) won't
come back to haunt you in the future.

Karin