doctype

by "Lisa Bradshaw" <zibbler(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:53:04 -0400
 To:  "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
"Dale" <dale(at)hiwaay.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've noticed a couple of things the doctype declaration does. I'm working on
a tutorial web page using XHTML and CSS. For some reason IE6 doesn't like
this doctype. For example, I had some colored scroll bars on my page that
worked fine in IE5.5 but as soon as I upgraded to IE6 my scrollbars didn't
work. Hmmm. At first I just thought that IE6 no longer supported this
feature, but then I came across other web sites with colored scroll bars
that worked fine.  I spent many hours trying to figure out why mine didn't
work. After looking at the source of these other pages I came to notice that
they were all using the doctype html 4.0 transitional declaration. Sure
enough, when I used that doctype on my page my scroll bars behaved as I
intended. I realize having colored scroll bars is not a big deal, just a
nice feature, but it makes me wonder what other things may not work right.
Just a thought.

Lisa

> Remove the  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" trailer from the DTD
and
> it will work properly.  This is obviously another Netscape thing caused by
> their stricter adhearance to standards.
>
> This brings up another question.  I noticed that you were using 4.1
> transitional.  I think w3.org has replaced that with the XHTML standard.
It