Problem pasting into <textarea> in form

by "Lois Wakeman" <lois(at)lois.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:26:17 +0100
 To:  "HWG techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ann,

I can't remember where it was, but I remember a discussion about this, and
the consensus was that there is an undocumented limit in the number of
characters that can be pasted into a textarea, which may be
browser-dependent.

I wonder if some WP apps generate lots of control characters etc. that make
the paste too large? Could you ask a user to test e.g. pasting from Word
into Notepad, and thence into the form, to see if that is any better? This
should strip out formatting/graphics etc. embedded in the resume.

Kind regards,

Lois Wakeman

http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:43:05 -0700
From: "Ann Ezzell" <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Problem pasting into <textarea> in form

Our company uses an on-line recruiting service for resume submittal. A
number of candidates have said that they have been unable to paste their
resumes into the designated <.textarea> - even though they can type in the
field.

Has anyone ever encountered this? At least one candidate reported that he
was able to paste the resume text into other applications - just not into
this form field.