Re: Database-driven websites

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:52:46 -0400
 To:  "Susan Walsh" <SusanW(at)inscodico.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: Susan Walsh <SusanW(at)inscodico.com>
To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 2:10 PM
Subject: Database-driven websites

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am about to start building my first database-driven website.  I have
read
> through the archives and I know that there are different opinions on the
> best way to do this.  I plan to use ASP and SQL.  The client wants to save
> some contact information off a credit application to their database and
> their inventory will be around 500-750 products.  Would it be okay to use
an
> Access database for something of this size, or would performance suffer?

Initally Acces would probably be OK, but it does have scalability problems.
I would plan on porting to SQL server as soon as possible.

> I also have question is regarding inventory updates. The client wants to
be
> able to maintain the inventory themselves.  What would be the best way to
do
> this?

You can either write pages that allow them to do this, or they can have
access to the database itself. The former is probably better as it allows
you to build a log of all entries to the DB.

 The client will need to add and remove products from the inventory