Re: Video Capture Question

by "Klaas" <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>

 Date:  Thu, 10 May 2001 09:17:11 +0200
 To:  <bryan.westbrook(at)amd.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Bryan,

video capturing isn't as easy as it may seem, at least not on professional
(good) systems.  I actually studied video on the first place, and have
experience with quite some cards and systems.  To be able to make good
quality captures you need to know quite a bit about video... resolutions,
fields, field order, getting rid of fields for computer display, frames per
second, compression techniques,...

Each video card will capture video in high quality.  I have a DC30 and never
capture below 6MB per second, as I can see quality go down (768 x 576
resolution, PAL 25fps).  But for the net, that's a bit useless of course.  I
have 50GB of disk space, and am terribly in need of more.  6 minutes of
video takes up 2GB in this way, which also puts a high strain on harddrives.
I also have worked on uncompressed video systems, which take up 28MB/second.
Go figure...

I have some vids on my site, 4MB per minute is still okay quality, but not
'good'.  Check em out if you want: http://www.fiatcoupe.net

I advise you to read about it a lot and test things out.  For that, you need
MUCHA time.

- Kayjey -