Re: Flash detection and optional layout

by "apathetic genius" <tim(at)apatheticgenius.com>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:19:25 +0100
 To:  "Ken Richardson" <krichardson(at)mts.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I am doing a complete rework of an existing site.  This site has a lot of
> content (10 megs), mostly text.  I am to create the header, footer and
> menu's in Flash. I do not have access to asp or SSI's.  Short of
duplicating
> every page with and without Flash how can this be accomplished.

How many pages?

If you're totally reworking this site, you should SERIOUSLY consider moving
it to a server that allows SSI, or anything else that will achieve the same
job (PHP, ASP).

You can do a JavaScript hack to detect Flash and offer alternative content
for non-Flash people.  However, I would recommend NOT using Flash at all,
especially for the main navigation of the site.

Tim