Re: PC IE 5.0 Ignoring part of CSS

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:06:11 -0800
 To:  "Bryan Gillispie" <bryang(at)hp9000.macc.cc.mo.us>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Bryan,

First, on a PC, "Times" is not a valid font (unless you have the Adobe Type1
font installed). Instead, it's called "Times New Roman". Also, to declare a
font only (not size or style) it should be "font-family"; "font" is valid if
you're including the size and/or a style (bold/italic) to the declaration.
Thus, your font declaration in the body should read something like:

body {background-color: black; font-family: Times, 'Times New Roman',
sans-serif;}
Note the ' ' around Times New Roman -- any font that contains a space must
be single-quoted to work. Adding additional font names doesn't hurt, and
ensures that if your primary choice is not available, the second might be
used. A generic font type (sans-serif) ensures that if all your choices are
not available, the generic will be used to find the default system font that
best represents this family.

Also, the style is missing an attribute. You have <.style>, and everything
I've read says it should be <.style type="text/css"> (without the . of
course).

Personally, I find it easier to read CSS tags when written as attribute:
value (space after the colon), but I don't think that matters too much (I
could be wrong, though -- I always include the extra space, so have never
tested unspaced values). You may try adding spaces after the colons to see
if it helps, though.

Without more details on how these tags are used, I can't find anything else
glaringly obvious that may be wrong.

Good luck!
Kehvan M. Zydhek