Re: /index.htm reload?

by "Nathaniel Bank" <Nathan.Bank(at)cello.net>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:23:01 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <erwmag(at)email.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Perhaps a former ISP Admin point of view would shed a tad more light on the
subject? The reason index.html or .htm or .asp or whatever page loads simply
by typing in the www.dot.com address is that there is a setting in all web
servers to load any of a list of user-defined pages when someone just types
in your domain name. You can add whatever file names you like; most IIS
servers have default.htm and default.asp as default pages. It isn't just
when you type in a domain name, either... if you have a document default,
any folder you recurse into will also do the same thing. Example: if
index.php3 is on your default page list, opening a domain like
www.dot.com/users/personal/pages/bob/the/wonder/llama/ will bring up Bob the
Wonder Llama's index.php3 file if it is in his folder. This is a function
strictly of the web server, so you can reference other pages this way in
your HTML code without fear of it not working in some browsers (although
it's always a good idea to add the trailing slash /). Hope that helps a
bit!!!

Nathan