Re: Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics

by "Nancy Whittley" <jnwhittley(at)fuse.net>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:26:18 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
 Karin, It has to do with the way the browser loads a page for one.  I have
watched MSIE and the pages jerk around as images load, and it is in a way
irritating.  I do not hate MS by any means.  It does offer more features in
design that Netscape doesn't support and users miss out on.  But I love the
way the bookmarks set up and how easy they are to configure, and how I can
actually create a tool bar with folders where I can keep my best bookmarks.
Where as with MSIE I am looking into menus and sub menus.  Maybe I am not
taking the time to set up the bookmarks or favorites but I just prefer the
interface of Netscape better.  I don't mean to say that it is a superior
browser, I just think it is easier to use.

It is like driving a car.  You have a Chevy and a ford.  There are many ford
users that just will swear by their cars, and the same with a Chevy.  Chevy
has features that the ford doesn't have, and visa versa.  It has to do with
what you are comfortable in, and the ease of usage.  I like the "feel" of my
Netscape browser.  I wish it had some of those conforming features that the
other browser has but it doesn't, so it is a toss up.  I lose some
functions, for comfort.  And I like the way it loads pages.  In most cases
Netscape will load the text of a page before the images, so even if the
images are slow to load, I can at least read the content.  With MSIE, like I
said it will jerk around and move and shimmy before it finishes loading and
you certainly can't read anything with all that movement going on. (please
note this is on pages that are designed with percentages, when designed
using Pixels, I don't see that effect)  So that is it, nothing earth
shattering, just simple comfort.

Nancy