Re: Accessibility and Forms Buttons

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 29 May 2001 10:25:07 +0100
 To:  "Rob Atkinson" <robatkinson(at)nucleus.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Nancy's explanation of "The browser reads
> the TEXT that indicates what the field is for, then when it
> reaches the field it says "edit", which indicates the field is
> there." only confused me.

I would suggest she is referring to the following:

The browser would say "name", and then "edit".  In which case, you would
know that the purpose of the edit field is to enter your name.

I, too, am interested what reaction a screen reader has when it encounters a
form field.  It doesn't help much to say that submit buttons should be
clearly "labelled".  We need to see some HTML code.

Do we need a clear "NAME" attribute?  Do we need HTML text which  explains
what the button does?  Do we need to use a "LABEL" attribute, or some
non-standard attribute?

Could someone recommend some good screen reading software for us to try out?

Tim

http://www.timbooker.com/