Re: Advertising (Hopefully List Appropriate)

by "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:59:59 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Strictly, I think that spam is *mass* 'unsolicited commercial email',
deriving as it does from the Monty Python sketch in whch the word spam was
repeated almost forever. I am not sure that 100 e-mails counts as mass -
someone has been sending out millions with an email addres of mine as the
(spoofed) return address - now that *is* spam

However, I would not advocate using a generic e-mail - it might be better to
make the e-mail specific to the site e.g. 'we could improve the loading time
of your images'.

Where it could look unethical to me is where another web designer has worked
on the site, and perhaps matched it to the clients specification, and you
criticise it and by implication the designer, without knowing all the facts.
Seems to me that suggesting that you could improve a feature of the
particular site might be ok, but criticism as such probably isn't.

Its a fine line, and partly a matter of opinion.

Andrew