Re: Vertical Lines

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:53:42 -0700
 To:  "Rick" <altwd(at)earthlink.net>,
"HTML Writer's Guild" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Rick,

While others have pointed out that the example you give is just a bunch of
stretched images, another way of creating a similar effect, without
graphics, is to use the <HR> tag. Specifically, <HR WIDTH="3" SIZE="75"
ALIGN="Center"> creates a VERTICAL rule, 75px high, 3px wide, and <HR
WIDTH="75%" SIZE="3" ALIGN="Center"> is the companion HORIZONTAL rule -- HR
does NOT mean it has to display horizontally! These are placed in a
semi-complex table to build a custom grid separating each cell's content in
ways neither IE or NN could easily do. This works in ALL browsers I've
tested it in (MSIE 4.01 thru 5.5b; NC 3.04 thru 4.72; Mozilla MS13 & MS14;
Opera 3.62b thru 4.0b; AOL 4 & 5 (uses MSIE browser engine, but can mess
with graphics deisplay), and WebTV (Simulator)). By adjusting how the table
cells are layed out, you can customize the look of the grid quite simply!

Good luck,
Kehvan M. Zydhek