Re: new window

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:18:25 -0700
 To:  "Mark Johnson" <johnsonm(at)issaquah.wednet.edu>,
"hwg-techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Not sure if these two tags or synonymous, but I personally use
target="_blank" to launch a new browser. In IE, it acts like opening a
second copy of the Explorer, as launched from the Start Menu: it adjusts
itself over a bit. Netscape, however, does tend to pop the next instance of
itself directly on top of the previous existence, thus hiding the
obviousness of it being a second browser. I've gotten into the habbit of
putting near the top, where it's clearly visible in a alternate color, "THIS
IS A SECONDARY BROWSER WINDOW. CLOSE TO RETURN TO THE PAGE YOU WERE
VIEWING," and in the main page with the links that will pop up in new
browsers, "LINKS OPEN SECONDARY BROWSER WINDOWS." Much simpler than the
javascripts I use occasionally to launch specific sizes and types of
secondary windows -- and this works on browsers that have javascript turned
off...

Hope this helps.

Kehvan