Re: copyright violation - what to do?

by "Brandon Coughlin" <bcoughlin(at)urx.com>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:14:20 -0800
 To:  "jim barchuk" <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I should clarify something that I didn't make clear in my message.  I am not
saying they should have copied the article without permission.  Even if they
just linked to it, the appropriate thing to do would have been to ask first.
The only point that I was tackling in my message was that Lois said they
were claiming it as their own work.  They do not.  So the summary of my
message was, yes they were giving credit but no they shouldn't have copied
the info regardless.

For the record, yes I have had quite a bit of my work stolen and claimed by
others on the internet.  Anything from graphics, to website designs to my
own articles.  I have had them copied at one time or another.  Most the time
I write it off because I can usually go back to their website after about 2
months and find that their website is gone.  It is usually the little
wannabes that copy other's material.  And it is usually the wannabes that
fold after a couple of months.

So if I came across in my message as I was not in support of Lois' concerns,
I apologize.  I am totally in support of her and anybody else that is a
victim of copyright infringement.  I'm just trying to make certain what the
facts are.

Lois - one approach you might take before spending money on an attorney (if
that is the route you go) is politely ask them to link to your article
instead of copying it.  But I would only give them that one chance, THEN I
would bring on the big guns.  :)

Good luck!
Brandon