Re: Linux - pardon the off topic response.

by "Nathaniel Bank" <Nathan.Bank(at)cello.net>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:13:41 -0600
 To:  "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
"True Linux people" (of which I'd like to consider myself) would consider your lack of
proper spelling an insult. It's L-i-n-u-x after its creator, Linus, so there aren't two
n's.

And it's not _that_ difficult to learn if you have an ounce of dedication devoted to
learning it. Windows isn't remarkably easy from the ground-up-having-never-touched-it
perspective, either. I can't think of more than three people I know (and considering the
industry I work in, that's sad) that even know how to properly maintain their Winders
boxes. Linux is simply different, and the RedHat group, for one, has gone a long way to
make it as painless as they can to get running and learn. I'd recommend it without a doubt
to anyone I thought would bother really trying to learn it. It's doesn't hold your hand
through the whole process of everything you do, which I think is the way to go because
then you really understand what your computer is doing. Kinda like getting a license
before driving :-)

Just my two cents.

Nathan