Re: Repeat background

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:17:24 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Kym Jones" <kjones(at)adam.com.au>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kym,

You are propogating an untruth, at least partially. While MSIE may allow for
sloppy code, you are conveniently forgetting that Netscape is riddled with
proprietary code, non-support for industry standards, and a nasty habit of
completely trashing a page that renders properly in ANY OTHER
standards-compliant (or nearly-compliant) browser. I have just recently
completed the launch of a new site that uses extensive CSS/HTML4 technology.
It works as expected in MSIE 4.x, MSIE 5.x, AOL 4, AOL 5, Opera 4.x, and
Netscape 6/Mozilla betas. Netscape 4.x, on the other hand (including the
latest version, 4.73), completely trashes the page layout. THIS is better?
According to your comments, it would seem that's what you think.

I've written an alternate version of the site that uses HTML3 to display
ALMOST identical pages for browsers unable to properly display
CSS/HTML4-coded pages. Netscape 4 works great there. So this begs the
question: if Netscape is so much better, why is it that it can't display
pages that other browsers can, nor a two-year-old standard such as HTML4 and
CSS1? Are you implying that these pages in question are all coded sloppily,
and that all browsers EXCEPT Netscape render sloppy code? Tsk tsk. That's
not true, and that's not the case.

Before passing judgement about one browser or another, make sure that what
the browser is attempting to render is "legal code" (or as close to it as
possible), and then judge the browser accordingly. I personally like MSIE,
Opera, and the new Netscape 6/Mozilla betas roughly equally. Each has
benefits over the others, as well as drawbacks. But overall, they all work
and render about the same. As for Netscape 4.x, I can't think of any one
thing more deserving a quick and timely death.

Just my 2c.
Kehvan