What can I say?

by "Linda Goin" <info(at)goinhome.com>

 Date:  Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:35:27 -0700
 To:  "John Allred" <allred(at)its.state.ms.us>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
John - thanks for the link and the site. I went, I read, I came away feeling
depressed. On page http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000611.html, Niesen
writes, "A blank piece of paper in the typewriter creates writer's block."
Gads. I see a blank piece of paper as an empty field in which I can cavort,
play, create!

I can admire his stance on many things, since he comes from a historic
standpoint on web development. But I am also reminded of those who gloat
over the failure of an entry-level discovery (such as Niesen's crowing over
some WAP developments) only to become obscure in the annals of history as
the details of the 'failures' are overcome and we move onward. When you base
information on history, that's often wise. But in the history of any
development (I like his analogy of basing the web on the Model T Ford - a
funny twist, since that's where the web was about ten years ago), there is
always a few steps back after an introduction of a new product, service or
idea before it shoots forward again. To be fearful of trying new things is
possibly a social norm, but we ( I hope) pride ourselves on the invention
and trial of new ways of life and living. Outside of couch potatoes and a
portion of society that may be helpless in their situations, I doubt that
*that* many people are so simplistic, naive, illiterate, hopelessly helpless
or dependent on the notion of having to rely on others in order to live. If
they are, I doubt they have the means to access a computer, let alone have
the desire to critique the current malaise of any Internet inconsistencies.
Niesen promotes simplicity, which is one side of a multi-faceted coin. Chaos
may upset many of us, but - as a friend of mine was fond of saying, "out of
the mud grows the lotus."

Where there are rules, there is always philosophy, I suppose. To be confined
by technology is one thing. To be confined by another's opinions is another.
Not withstanding marketing, of course! ;-}

gratitude,
Linda