Re: • not working

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:00:03 -0800
 To:  "John T. Jones" <jtjones(at)davis.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
John and everyone else who has replied on and off list:

According to HomeSite 4.5.2, here is a list of codes to create some common
special characters:

en dash: &ndash;
em dash: &mdash;
Euro symbol: &euro;
Right Double Quote (....blah"): &rdquo;
Left Double Quote ("blah....): &ldquo;
Left Single Quote (your's): &lsquo;
(the above display on UNICODE/DBCS browsers only)

Copyright: &copy;
Section Sign (2 S's on top of each other): &sect;
1/2: &frac12;
1/4: &frac14;
3/4: &frac34;
Cent Sign: &cent;
Pound (money) Sign: &pound;
Yen Sign: &yen;
Plus-minus sign: &plusmn;

The Special Characters list in HomeSite does NOT specifically include &bull;
for bullets, but that works, too. My guess is that &bull; is one of those
newer UNICODE/DBCS codes, and the reason it's not working in Mac NS4.76 is
that that browser is not fully compatible with these newer codes (Windows
NS4.76 DOES display some of the UNICODE/DBCS characters in tests, so I will
assume it can display all of them).

The Windows codes for extended characters work on browsers displaying on
Windows systems (&#149; for a bullet), but what to do about Mac extended
characters, and to make it work universally across all browsers?

My suggestion would be to create an unordered list in either straight HTML
or CSS. Then, for whichever platform the page is displayed on, something
pretty close to the default bullet will be displayed:

<.ul>
    <.li>Bulleted text here<./li>
<./ul>

You can add CSS styling to the above by using something like the following
in your stylesheets:

ul {margin: 0px 0px 10px 20px; list-style: disc outside;}
li {margin: 0px 0px 2px 0px;}

The stylesheets allow for more formatting control, enabling you to tweak the
code to prevent the gaps around the text plain HTML will cause, and allow
you to change your bullets to something else.

As a last resort, use a graphics program to create a simple 2- or 16-color
.GIF file of a bullet of your choosing and insert the graphic before any
text you want bulleted.

Hope this helps,
Kehvan