Re: DTD. Is it needed?

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:33:53 -0500
 To:  "Timo Markkanen" <timo.markkanen(at)moh.hnet.bc.ca>,
"Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> What about all the new Internet deveices, fridges, washers, cars,
hand helds
> etc...? Their numbers will, by some accounts, overtake browsers for
Interent
> access in the coming years

More and more devices are looking at the Declaration to decide how to
render a page.

Already IE5 for mac will give a different rendering to your page
depending on whether a DOCTYPE is declared or not, and if so what the
DOCTYPE declaration is..

The bottom line appears to be that if you ask for a strict DTD, the
device will render the page in compliance with W3C specifications, if
you ask for transitional or don't declare a doctype it will render
your page in the old 'buggy' mode.

Frank